Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Kink in Our Think



On the other side of the spectrum, skinny and underweight friends of mine have had it with being accused of eating disorders.

Body- and self-image are very confusing subjects in this country. Our bodies are supposed to look like those we see on movie screens and magazine covers. We cannot perfect our "self" unless we have a second special someone in our lives. We are encouraged to think that without the perfect body we cannot attract the perfect mate, and we will be lonely and miserable and imperfect for the rest of our lives.

Um... NO?

I'm around 1XL depending on what store I visit. I've been loved and adored by friends and "special someones" while ten pounds heavier and ten pounds lighter. I love getting fine chocolates on Singles Awareness Day (Feb. 14). Fashion designers and clothing stores don't love me quite so much, and I'm still trying to figure out why...

How about you?

No comments: